Images of Historical Hartford

From the files of Stephen M. Lawson

Family Narratives are included in Kinnexions for persons with linked names.
[A larger image may be viewed for each of the following.]

Historic Marker (1971), located at main entrance to the Ancient Burying Ground. Image scanned from The Colonial History of Hartford - U.S. Bicentennial Edition, by William DeLoss Love (1974).

State of Connecticut


Hartford was name in 1637 after the English town of Hertford. The Indian name was Suckiaug. The first colonial settlement, called Hous of Good Hope, was made by he Dutch in 1633. The Reverend Thomas Hooker arrived overland from Newtown (Cambridge) Massachusetts with his congregation in 1636. At first the settlement was called Newtown.

In 1639 the Fundamental Orders were adopted, often considered the first written constitution creating a government. Hartford served as capital of Connecticut Colony until 1701, when after absorption of New Haven Colony there were two capitals, Hartford and New Haven. In 1875 Hartford became the sole capital.

Erected by the City of Hartford
the Connecticut Historical Committee and the
Society of the Descendants of the Founders of Hartford

Adventurers' Boulder plaque (1935), located at corner of Main and Arch Streets. Image scanned from The Colonial History of Hartford - U.S. Bicentennial Edition, by William DeLoss Love (1974).

In memory of the courageous
who inspired and directed by
Thomas Hooker journeyed through the
wilderness from Newton (Cambridge)
in the Massachusetts Bay to
Suckiaug (Hartford) - October, 1635

Matthew Allyn
John Barnard
William Butler
Clement Chaplin
Nicholas Clarke
Robert Day
Edward Elmer
Nathaniel Ely
Richard Goodman  
William Goodwin 
Stephen Hart
William Kelsey
William Lewis
Mathew Marvin
James Olmsted
William Pantry
Thomas Scott
Thomas Stanley
Timothy Stanley
Edward Stebbins
John Steele
John Stone
John Talcott
Richard Webb



From the Society of the Descendants
of the Founders of Hartford
To the People of Hartford
October 15, 1935


Thomas Hooker sculpture by Frances L. Wadsworth (1950), located east of the State House. Image scanned from The Colonial History of Hartford - U.S. Bicentennial Edition, by William DeLoss Love (1974). The text on the four sides of the pedestal (not shown here), from the 1986 Register of the Society of the Descendants of the Founders of Hartford, Inc., reads:

1586 - 1647
Founder of Hartford
Pastor - Statesman

"The foundation of authority is laid
firstly in the Free Consent of the People."

"The choice of public magistrates, belongs unto the people, by God's own allowance. And it is in their power, also, to set the bounds and limitations of the power and place, unto which they call them."

Leading his people through the wilderness, he founded Hartford, in June 1636. Two years later he preached the historic sermon, which inspired the Fundamental Orders, and sowed the seeds of free Constitutional govenment in America.

"As God has given us Liberty, let us take it."

To the People of Hartford from the Society of the
Descendants of the Founders of Hartford, October 1950.

Founders Monument (1986), located in the Ancient Burying Ground, also known as the Center Church Cemetery. Image scanned from The Original Proprietors, by the Society of the Descendants of the Founders of Hartford, Inc. (n.d.). Peter Grant, past Governor of the SDFH, wrote in the 1986 Register that:

"The Council of the Founders organized the Ancient Burying Ground Association in 1982 as a committee of the Founders. An earlier organization of the same name was formed in 1836 and erected the Founders Monument in 1837. A brownstone obelisk which listed the names of the city's founders, the monument had deteriorated severly, despite various conservation efforts.

"The Ancient Burying Ground Association determined that it was impossible to restore the 1837 monument. A replacement monument, carved from beautiful, durable Connecticut granite, was dedicated on August 6, 1986. While the new monument retains the size and proportions of the original, the Founders' names are now listed in alphabetical order. Several names, omitted from the 1837 monument, are now included."

[Monument Base - East Face]

Erected by
the Society of the Descendents of The Founders of Hartford
A. D. 1986
to Commemorate the 350th Anniversary of the City.
This stone replaces the original sandstone monument of 1837

Names Inscribed on the Founders Monument of Hartford
(as listed in the SDFH 1987 Annual Report)

[East Face]

In Memory of the FIRST


Jeremy Adams
Matthew Allyn
William Andrews
Francis Andrews
John Arnold
Andrew Bacon
John Barnard
Thomas Barnes
Robert Bartlett
John Baysey
Thomas Beale
Nathaniel Bearding
Mary Betts
John Bidwell
Richard Billing
Thomas Birchwood
Peter Blachford
Thomas Blackley
Thomas Bliss, Sr.
Thomas Bliss, Jr.
William Blumfield
James Bridgeman
John Bronson
Richard Bronson
Thomas Bull
Thomas Bunce
Benjamin Burr
Richard Butler
William Butler
Clement Chaplin
Dorothy Chester
Richard Church
John Clarke
Nicholas Clarke
William Clarke
James Cole
William Cornwell

[North Face]

John Crow
John Cullick
Philip Davis
Fulke Davy
Robert Day
Nicholas Desborough
Joseph Easton
William Edwards
Edward Elmer
Nathaniel Ely
James Ensign
Zachary Field
Thomas Fisher
John Friend
Samuel Gardiner
Daniel Garret
John Gennings
William Gibbons
Richard Goodman
Ozias Goodwin
William Goodwin
Seth Grant
George Graves
Bartholomew Greene
Samuel Greenhill
Thomas Gridley
Samuel Hale
Thomas Hale
John Hall
Stephen Hart
William Hayden
John Hayes
John Higginson
William Hills
John Holloway
William Holton
Thomas Hooker
Edward Hopkins
John Hopkins
Thomas Hosmer
George Hubbard
Thomas Hungerford

[West Face]

William Hyde
Jonathan Ince
Thomas Judd
Nathaniel Kellogg
Ralph Keeler
William Kelsey
Edward Lay
William Lewis, Sr.
Richard Lord
Thomas Lord
Thomas Lord, Jr.
Richard Lyman
John Marsh
Matthew Marvin
Reinold Marvin
John Maynard
John Moody
John Morris
Benjamin Munn
Thomas Munson
Joseph Mygatt
Thomas Olcott
James Olmsted
John Olmstead
Richard Olmsted
William Pantry
William Parker
Paul Peck
William Phillips
John Pierce
Thomas Porter
Stephen Post
John Pratt
William Pratt
John Purchas
Nathaniel Richards
Thomas Richards
Richard Risley
Thomas Root
Nathaniel Ruscoe
William Ruscoe
John Sable

[South Face]

Thomas Scott
Thomas Selden
Richard Seymour
John Skinner
Arthur Smith
Giles Smith
Thomas Spencer
William Spencer
John Stanley
Thomas Stanley
Timothy Stanley
Thomas Stanton
Edward Stebbins
George Steele
John Steele
George Stocking
John Stone
Samuel Stone
John Talcott
Thomas Thompson
Thomas Upson
Robert Wade
William Wadsworth
Henry Wakeley
James Wakeley
Samuel Wakeman
Nathaniel Ward
Andrew Warner
John Warner
Richard Watts
Richard Webb
John Webster
Thomas Welles
William Westley
William Westwood
John White
Samuel Whitehead
William Whiting
John Wilcock
Gregory Wolterton
Thomas Woodford
George Wyllys

Kinnexions    Freeman Family    Site Contents    Surnames    Contact Info

Modified: 2/6/00