From the files of Stephen M. Lawson
Hyde Ancestry in England
The principal reference for the Hyde family in England is
"Hydes of England: Ancestors of Thomas Olcott of Connecticut, Samuel
Hardy of Massachusetts, and Susan Hyde, Wife of William Harris of Rhode
Island," by Frederick J. Nicholson, in The Genealogist, Vol. 20
(2006), No. 2, pages 131-83. Refer to this article for extensive
additional information, source document citations and abstracts, and
critical analysis for family relationships. Only an outline of the
direct Hyde line is presented here.
- Son of Jenkin HYDE
- Edward - bur. Sep. 13, 1566, Holy Trinity, Minorities near
Aldgate, London. Children: John; Edward married first Margaret GRIFFIN,
second Johanna, and third Anne OSBORNE; and Raphe married.
- John -
- Thomas - d. 1563/4, Minorities near Aldgate, London.
- d. 1563/4, Minorities near Aldgate, London. Son of
Edward HYDE. A tailor, Thomas' will was dated Oct. 18, 1563 and proved
Mar. 2, 1563/4, naming his children in the order listed, with all of
them being under age 21. Evidence suggests that his wife's surname may
have been CORBETT.
- John - bur. Oct. 21 1617, St Mary Aldermanbury, London.
- Edward -
- Michael -
- Thomas -
- Francis -
- Elizabeth -
John Hyde and Fortune Tyer
- bur. Oct. 21 1617, St Mary Aldermanbury, London. Son of Thomas HYDE
As a citizen and draper of London, John's will was dated Nov.. 26, 1616
and proved Nov. 6, 1617. Married first Feb. 9, 1576/7, St Mary Le Bowe,
London to Fortune TYER, and married second May 9, St Mary Bothaw,
London to Mary BONFOY (bap. Apr. 18, 1585, St Ann Blackfriars, England,
daughter of Sebastion BONFOY and Alice AUDLEY. Mary married second
William HUBBERD at St Margaret, Westminster by Jul. 7, 1619 London
- bur. Sep. 19, 1603, St Mary Aldermanbury, London.
Children of John and Fortune Hyde
- John - bap. Dec. 26, 1577, St Lawrence Jewry, London.
- William - bap. Feb. 10, 1580/1, St Lawrence Jewry, London.
- Judeth - bap. Apr. 22, 1582, St Lawrence Jewry, London.
- Lawrence - bap. Oct 27, 1583, St Lawrence Jewry, London; bur. there Sep. 15, 1587.
- Thomas - bap. Feb. 7, 1584/5, St Lawrence Jewry, London.
- Anne - bap. Jun 10, 1586, St Lawrence Jewry, London; bur. there same day.
- Margaret - b. about 1588, St Lawrence Jewry, London; d. abt Sep., 1678, London, England. Married Thomas OLCOTT.
- Thomas - bap. Jul. 20, 1589, St Lawrence Jewry, London; bur. there Oct. 8, 1603.
- Henry - bap. Oct. 25, 1590, St Lawrence Jewry, London; bur. there Mar. 1, 1596/7.
- Edward - bur. Sep. 2, 1591, St Lawrence Jewry, London.
- Richard - bap. Jan. 14, 1592/3, St Lawrence Jewry, London; bur. there Sep. 25, 1596.
- WIlliam - bap. Mar. 17, 1593/4, St Lawrence Jewry, London.
Children of John and Mary Hyde
- Nicholas - bap. Feb. 2, 1605/6, St Mary Aldermanbury, London.
- Thomas - bap. Mar. 25, 1607, St Mary Aldermanbury, London; bur. there Mar. 10, 1613/4.
- Mary - bap. Sep. 25, 1608, St Mary Aldermanbury, London; bur. Oct. 30, 1608, Much Hadham, Hertfordshire.
- Susan - bap. Mar. 20, 1609/0, St Mary Aldermanbury, London.
Married before 1635 to William HARRIS (b. about 1611; d. 1681, London).
William's will was dated Dec. 4, 1678 and proved Feb. 15, 1681/2.
Children: Andrew married Mary TEW; Mary married Thomas BORDEN;
Susannah married Ephraim CARPENTER; Howlong married Capt. Arthur
FENNER; and Toleration did not marry.
- Elizabeth - bap. Apr. 5, 1612, St Mary Aldermanbury, London; bur. there Apr. 10, 1612.
- Mary - bap. Aug. 3, 1613, St Mary Aldermanbury, London; bur. there Aug. 7, 1613.
- John - bap. Apr. 2, 1615, St Mary Aldermanbury, London; bur. Jul.
31, 1652, St Mary Aldermanbury, London. A clothworker of London, his
will was dated Jun. 26, 1652 and proved Oct. 18, 1652.
Olcott Ancestry in England
The principal references for the Hyde family in
England are "The English Origin of Thomas Olcott of Hartford, Conn.,"
by Robert H. Olcott, Esq., of Oakland, California, in The American Genealogist, Vol. XIV, No. 4, pp. 229-37, and the above noted reference for the Hyde family.
Randall ALCOCK - b. about 1580.
- Thomas - b. Wybunbury Parish, Chester, England; bur.
Dec. 14, 1627, St Mary Aldermanbury, London.
- John - Married and living in 1661. Children.
- William - d. about 1660. Married. Children: Sarah, and Leah.
- Alice - Married William WASSE. Children: William, Richard,
Thomas and Margaret (Hyde) Olcott
Thomas OLCOTT - b. Wybunbury Parish, Chester, England;
bur. Dec. 14, 1627, St Mary Aldermanbury, London. Son of Randall
ALCOCK. Resided in the parish of St. Lawrence in the
Old Jury, London, and described as 'citizen and dyer of Aldermanbury,
London.' His will was dated May 16, 1626, and proved Jan. 5, 1627/8
by his widow, named as executrix. Married probably in London.
Margaret HYDE - b. about 1588, St Lawrence Jewry, London,
England; d. about Sep., 1678, London, England. Will proved Oct. 9,
1678. Margaret (HIDE) OLCOTT married second Dec. 22, 1628,
Aldermanbury, London, George CHALFONT (d. about Jul., 1655, London;
bur. All Hallows, Honey Lane, London) as his second wife. George's will
was dated Apr. 18, 1654 and proved Jul. 21, 1655. Margaret and George
CHALFONT were parents of Sarah CHALFONT, who married Timothy NORRIS.
Children of George CHALFONT and his unidentified first wife: Benjamin,
Barbara, Marie and Susan. Margaret HYDE was daughter of John HYDE and Fortune TYER.
Children of Thomas and Margaret Olcott
- Mary - bap. Nov. 15, 1607, St Lawrence Jewry, London; will
proved Oct. 19, 1678, London. Married first Robert HARDY (will dated
May 28, 1661, and proved Dec. 18, 1662). Robert's will names his wife
Mary, and "mother, Mrs. Margrett CHALFONT." Mary married second Steven
MORE. Children of Mary and Robert HARDY: Mary; Elizabeth; Sarah married
first Adam JORDAIN, and second Thomas DUKE; and Samuel married Mary
DUDLEY. Daughter of Mary and Steven MORE: Sarah married Isaac
- John - bap. Sep. 29, 1609, St Lawrence Jewry, London; bur. Jan. 17, 1633/4, All Hallows, Honey Lane, London.
- Thomas - bap. Feb. 2, 1613, St Lawrence Jewry, London; d. Feb. 1653/4, aboard ship enroute to Virginia.
- Randall - bap. Sep. 22, 1616, St. Lawrence Jewry, London; d. by
- Henry - bap. Apr. 19, 1618, St. Lawrence Jewry, London; d. by 1627.
- Samuel - bap. Dec. 23, 1621, St. Lawrence Jewry, London; d. by
The Olcott family in America
A significant reference for the Olcott family in America is The Descendants of Thomas Olcott, One of the First Settlers of Hartford, Ct. (1630-1874),
by Nathaniel Goodwin (1848), revised and extended by Henry S. Olcott (1874: Albany, NY). Information from a number of
other publications are incorporated in the following narrative.
Thomas and Abigail (Porter) Olcott
Thomas OLCOTT - bap. Feb. 2, 1613, St Lawrence Jewry, London, England; d. early 1653/4, aboard ship enroute to Virginia. Son
of Thomas OLCOTT and Margaret HYDE. At Hartford,
CT by 1639; constable 1640, his name appears on Hartford's Founders Monument. Thomas
was a merchant in shipping trade between New England and Maryland
and Virginia. His will
was written Nov. 20, 1653, Hartford, CT, and his estate inventoried
at £1466.08.05 Feb. 13, 1654. The primary portion of his
estate (£1141.18.0) was in debts receivable, presumably
from his trading business. Thomas' will includes many doctrinal
statements of the Puritan Christian faith, including the Trinity
as the "merciful Father and blessed Redeemer and eternal
Comforter," man's original state in "the chains of darkness
and the dungeons of sin and misery," election in mercy and
love "by a mighty and unresistable power," the resurrection
of the body when "both body and soul shall be reunited,"
"worldly goods which the Lord hath been pleased to lend,"
and "God's faithfulness and goodness" through "his
everlasting covenant." Thomas and Abigail were married in
Abigail - b. about 1615, England; d. May 26,
1693, Hartford, CT. Will
dated Jan. 12, 1692/3, proved Sep. 7, 1693. Possibly the daughter
of Mr. PORTER, of London. David PORTER, possibly her brother,
was on a visit to Hartford when he drowned in the river. The account
of costs dated Jun. 8, 1678 for his burial at Hartford was £4.14.04.
Inventory of the estate of David PORTER was noted at Hartford
Dec. 5, 1678, when Abigail was granted administration, with the
remainder of the estate reserved for the "mother or brother"
Children of Thomas and Abigail Olcott
- Thomas - b. about 1640, England; d. 1719; bur. Manchester,
CT. Married Mary CULLICK (d. May 3, 1721, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT),
daughter of Capt. John CULLICK. Children of Thomas and Mary OLCOTT:
Abigail; Mary; Thomas married Sarah FOOTE; Samuel; John; and Timothy
married second Mary FIELD, and third Elizabeth.
- Samuel - b. about 1642; d. 1704, Hartford,
CT. Will dated Mar. 13, 1704, and proved Apr. 12, 1704.
- Hannah - b. about 1644.
- Elizabeth - bap. Dec. 7, 1645, Hartford, Hartford Co., CT; d. after
Jan., 1691/2. Married Timothy HYDE (b. Aug., 1644, Boston, Suffolk Co.,
MA), son of George HYDE and Anne. Son of Elizabeth and Timothy HYDE:
Timothy did not marry.
- John - bap. Feb. 3, 1649/0, Hartford, Hartford Co., CT; d.
1712. Married 1695 at Wethersfield, CT to Mary BLACKLEACH (b. about
Nov., 1665, Hartford, Hartford Co., CT; d. after 1729), daughter of
John BLACKLEACH, Jr. and Elizabeth HERBERT, and widow of Thomas WELLES.
Mary married third Capt. Joseph WADSWORTH. Children of John and Mary
OLCOTT: Samuel did not marry; Mary married Joseph FARNSWORTH; Rachel
married Capt. John KNOWLES; and Abigail married Timothy BIGELOW.
George and Anna Stocking
George STOCKING - b. about 1582, Suffolk, England; d.
May 25, 1683, Hartford, CT. His name appears on Hartford's Founders Monument. Will
dated Jul. 15, 1673 when he was age 91, and he lived to age 101.
To Boston, MA 1633 in the 'Griffin.' Freeman at Cambridge, MA
May 6, 1635. Founder of Hartford, CT 1636. Selectman 1647; surveyor
of highways 1654 and 1662; chimney viewer 1659. Married in England.
Anna - Mentioned in husband's will as living in 1673.
Children of George and Anna Stocking
- Lydia - d. after Jul. 1712, probably at Hartford, Hartford
Co., CT. Married John RICHARDS (b. 1631, England; d. 1712, Hartford,
Hartford Co., CT) son of Thomas RICHARDS II of Hartford, CT.
Lydia owned the convenant at Hartford on Feb. 28, 1695/6, and
was living Jul. 12, 1712. Children of Lydia and John RICHARDS: John married Abigail PARSONS;
Dea. Thomas married Mary PARSONS; and Samuel married HENBURY.
- Sarah - Married Samuel
- Hannah - d. by 1673. Admitted to church at Milford, CT Oct.
13, 1650. Married about 1649 Andrew BENTON (bap. Oct. 15, 1620,
Epping, Essex, England; d. Jul. 31, 1683, Hartford, CT), son
of John BENTON and Mary SOUTHERNWOOD. He was admitted to church
at Milford, CT in 1648, and dismissed to Hartford church 1666,
residing there from 1662 until death. Andrew married second about
1673 Anna COLE and had Ebenezer; Lydia; Hannah; and John. Children
of Hannah and Andrew BENTON: John died in infancy; Hannah married John
CAMPS, Jr.; Andrew married Martha SPENCER (daughter of Thomas
SPENCER and Sarah BEARDING); Mary married first Nathaniel COLE,
second Jonathan BIGELOW (as his third wife, son of John BIGELOW
and Mary WARREN), and third John SHEPARD; John; Samuel married
Sarah CHATTERTON; Joseph married first Martha PECK, and second
Sarah WATERS (daughter of Bevil WATERS and Elizabeth); and Dorothy
married Daniel BIDWELL.
- Samuel - d. Dec. 1683. Deacon at Middletown, CT where he
settle about 1655. Sgt. in King Philip's War. Married May 27,
1652 Bethia HOPKINS, daughter of John and Jane. Bethia married
second James STEELE. Children of Samuel and Bethia STOCKING: Hannah died
young; Samuel; Bethia married Thomas STOWE; John; Ebenezer; George
married Elizabeth; Stephen; Daniel married Jane MOULD; Lydia
married first Joseph HOWELL, and second Edward RANNEY (or RAYNER);
Samuel and Sarah (Stocking) Olcott
Samuel OLCOTT - b. about 1642; d. 1704, Hartford, CT.
Son of Thomas OLCOTT and Abigail.
Will dated Mar. 13, 1704, and proved Apr. 12, 1704. Freeman 1664.
Sarah STOCKING - Daughter of George
STOCKING and Anna (or Agnes), of Hartford, CT.
Children of Samuel and Sarah Olcott
- Sarah - b. 1655, Hartford, CT; d. Dec. 31, 1749, Hartford,
CT. Admitted to First Church Feb. 1690/1. Married William WILLIAMS
(b. 1652; d. Mar. 31, 1743), son of William WILLIAMS and Jane
WESTOVER. Children of Sarah and William WILLIAMS: William married Elizabeth WATTLES?; Daniel;
Sarah married James FORBES, Jr.; Rachel married William BURNHAM;
Jonathan; and John.
- Mary - d. Mar. 7, 1697,
Hartford, CT. Married Jonathan
- Elizabeth - Married Oct. 14, 1703, Hartford, CT Jonathan
ASHLEY (b. Aug. 23, 1674; d. May 7, 1750), son of Jonathan ASHLEY
and Sarah WADSWORTH. Marriage date also reported as May 20, 1703.
Children of Elizabeth and Jonathan ASHLEY: Sarah died young; Jonathan died in infancy; Elizabeth
married Thomas OLCOTT; Jonathan married Mrs. Mary GOFF; Sarah
married Obadiah RICHARDS; Mary married Benjamin TAYLOR; Abigail
married Silas HOTCHKISS; Rachel married Stephen TURNER; Eunice
married Samuel SCOTT; and Anne probably died young.
- Thomas - d. Dec. 2, 1712, Hartford, CT. Will dated Dec. 1,
and proved Dec. 15, 1712. Married Nov. 11, 1695, Hartford, CT
Hannah BARNARD (bap. Mar. 20, 1669/70, Hartford, CT; d. Jul.
15, 1755, Hartford, CT), daughter of Bartholomew BARNARD and
Sarah BIRCHARD. Children of Thomas and Hannah OLCOTT: Jonathan married Sarah COLLYER; Thomas
married Elizabeth TURNER; Mary; Josiah died young; and Joseph
married Eunice COLLYER.
- George - d. Jan. 18, 1710/1, Hartford, CT. Married Sarah
BUNCE (bap. Jan. 1, 1681/2, Hartford, CT; d. Jul. 8, 1760, Hartford,
CT), daughter of John BUNCE and Mary BARNARD. Children of George and Sarah OLCOTT: Sarah
married Joseph BARNARD; and George married Dorathy SKINNER.